Sunday, August 12, 2007

Unusually Happy

My son and I made it over to Grandma’s place around 10 this morning. If you read yesterday’s entry you know that my son initially talked about being over there by 9am, but I knew that was not going to happen. Truth is, I was pretty impressed that we made it by ten.

We spent about an hour and a half in the water. While Grandma did not come in, she came down with us and seemed to enjoy watching him. While we were in the water, my son said to me that “Grandma seems unusually happy today”. I am not sure that she did but certainly she was happy. Even though she did not come into the water, even though a good portion of the visit was spent where she was not able to talk with him (since he was in the water and she was not), he still put her in a good mood.

Following the water my son performed some of the magic tricks he learned at camp for her. She did not quite understand what he was trying to accomplish with each trick, but still enjoyed watching him “perform”.

After this, we were invited to stay there for lunch. The problem is while Grandma may enjoy have my son there, with most of the residents of the assisted living place eating at the same time, it is not good for a nine-year-old to be eating there. Not only is the food not the best for a kid, or child friendly, but the environment is not the best either. While everyone there says they would love it, and while it is good for people to see him, if he is up and walking around, and just doing some of the things a nine year old does, most of the residents and staff do not appreciate it (I speak from experience).

The game plan according to my son was that I should take him home for lunch and then he wanted to go back later that day. I was not surprised when he changed his mind. Still, we did spend time with Grandma and it seemed to accomplish what it needed to do.

No comments: