Monday, August 13, 2007

It's Not A Plot Against You

My mother-in-law needed to go back to the hospital today. Yesterday she seemed fine but this morning her leg was bothering her and she was not able to put any pressure on it, let alone walk on it. She was taken to the hospital and it turns out that the bone is fractured. They will probably just put a cast on it and then it is physical therapy. All things considered, it is not too bad.

My wife is convinced this is a plot against her. We are scheduled to close on a house later in the week and she was saying, “I knew something would go wrong earlier in the week”. The implication being that this would louse up the plans to close.

It is interesting, if I had been in the same situation as she, if it had been my parent, there are two things of which I am pretty sure. The first one is that this thought would never even enter my mind. Of course she knows that this is not really a plot, but I would never even think that this was something going wrong before the closing, nor would I have any thought other than concern and sympathy for my parent. The other thing is, I would never even think that something such as this would prevent us from closing.

It is an interesting dynamic how different people react to the same situation. I used to be surprised how many marriages end in divorce, now the more I see the way different philosophies and approaches have to come together between both parties, I am amazed that more marriages do not end in divorce. (Do not read anything into that statement. I am in no way suggesting my wife and I are considering or would be better off divorced, only that it is a constant compromise when parents are involved.)

Fortunately, it looks like things are not too bad for my mother-in-law. Hopefully she will listen to the doctors and do what she needs to do. Hopefully my wife and her mom will get along through all this so we can do our best in helping with her recovery (and make sure it is all systems go with the closing).

No comments: