Monday, August 27, 2007

Both GrandKids

My held my son’s birthday party this past weekend. My Brother-in-law, his wife and their daughter came to here to celebrate with the rest of my son’s friends. While they were here, we went to see Grandma. She had both her grandchildren, both her children (and both of her in-laws).

From everything I saw, she seemed to be doing great. She was receptive and friendly. She enjoyed seeing everyone, knew exactly what was going on and managed to do a nice job getting around. She is using a wheelchair and she was able to push herself. She also uses a walker to pivot from the bed into the chair. For years she has refused to use a walker, so it is a good thing that she is allowing herself to use it to help with the recovery process.

For me, however, the most important thing was just seeing how she responded to the grandchildren. She enjoyed having them with her, she introduced them around and had fun showing them off. She held conversations with them (sometimes she had trouble hearing them because she refuses to acknowledge she needs a hearing aid, but I think that is minor), and everything seemed to go as well, if not better, than I thought possible.

I do not know how long it stays like this or how long my wife will feel like everything is okay, but for now, I am just going to enjoy the fact that for at least one day, everything was great.

No comments: