Tuesday, August 7, 2007

A Magic Show

My son is doing a week of magic camp this week. While he has only been to one session so far (Today is his second but he is still there and I have not yet talked with him about it today, so I am only counting the first day), he really seems to enjoy this camp. He is already talking about going back next year. The leader of the camp, the magician, has told the kids that a lot of these tricks are not ones that professional magicians do, but since the children have to be between six and twelve, what he is teaching them is age appropriate.

One of the things they do is put on a show for the parents on the last day of camp. I certainly plan on being there and think I should be able to get there. I know my wife is there. I would love to ask her mom to join us as well. I think my son would be thrilled to have Grandma in the audience.

I can already hear the discussion when I bring it up to my wife. She will tell me there will be a lot of people there and her mom does not do well in crowds. She will tell me it is outdoors and she has concerns about her mother being outside for so long. She will tell me her mom can be uncouth at times (this is true) and if she feels her grandson (or any one of the kids) is not covering up the trick well enough, she will point it out.

I think the last one could be true. Her mom, when it comes to crowds, is hit-or-miss. I think since this will be outdoors, it won’t be nearly as crowded, or seem that way, as it would if it were inside. I think it would be good for her to get out and see this. We moved my mother-in-law here so she could be closer to family. Let’s find a way she can take advantage of being closer to family. I will even tell my wife that if it gets to be too much for her mom, I will bring her back.

I think I may actually be able to pull this one off. I think something like attending the magic show will do more good than any medication will. I expect to be able to say, “And a good time was had by all”. I will let you know.

No comments: