Saturday, August 4, 2007

New Shoes

Apparently my mother-in-law needs a new pair of shoes. I got home from work yesterday and listened to a message on the machine (my wife and son were out). The assisted living facility where my mother-in-law lives called and said something about checking for another pair of shoes and how they made arrangements to bring some x-ray equipment to the facility so they could take some x-rays of her.

My mind immediately jumped to all the negative situations. I thought she probably fell, and they thought it was because of her shoes. She probably refused to go to the hospital so they were going to check and see if she broke any bones by bringing the equipment to her. All sorts of conclusions jumped through my mind.

As it turn out, she was complaining that her foot hurt her and they were trying to check it out and see what could make it better. As it turns out, it appears to be arthritis. They are going to see what they can do to help make things better.

Kudos to the assisted living program. They did not have to bring the equipment to the facility. A lot of what they were willing to do were things beyond their responsibility, yet they did it. They were probably able to do more than my wife.

When my wife called to see what she could do, her mother told her to stop aggravating her. “Mom, I am not yelling or screaming, I am just talking to you,” was my wife’s response.

“Well then, do not talk to me,” was my mother-in-law’s response.

Watching the two of them interact is frustrating, on a good day, maybe amusing, but unfortunately they both have to learn how to relate to the other better. This would make life a lot easier for everyone involved.

No comments: