Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Paying For Rehab

My mother-in-law is out of the hospital. That is the good news, but now she is in rehab. She is not thrilled to be there and does not want to admit it is where she needs to be right now, but she is in the right place. My wife is going frustrated getting her set up there. Still, as usual, she is doing an excellent job.

What I found amazing was a piece of information she learned while getting her mom set up. Her mother only spent two days in the hospital. Apparently, in order for health insurance to cover the cost of rehab, you need to spend at least three days in the hospital. As a result, her mom will have to pay the complete cost for rehab, for however long she is there (and it will probably be about a month) as well as needing to pay for the assisted living facility where she resides since she will, most likely, be going back there after she finishes in rehab.

I think it is ridiculous that you need to have at least a three day hospital stay. The bone is no more or less fractured if she only spends one or two days in the hospital. The treatment does not change. Is there a way that an individual can ask the hospital to keep him or her for three day (an extra day) if need be? It just seems silly.

Of course, I understand the need to eliminate any kind of fraud. I support that, but when these changes affect people who are playing by the rules, then I think changes need to be made. I do not know the answer, but the question does need to change.

No comments: