Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Pushing Others Away

My mother-in-law is on an emotional roller coaster, and she is taking the rest of us with her. She continues to be at a nursing home for rehab, but it is not where she wants to be. Some days when we talk to her, her spirits sound very good. Other times, they are low, but low to the point of being abusive to the people who work there and low to the point where she does not want me to bring my son to visit, and I do not think it is a good idea to bring him, even though a visit from her grandson would do her wonders.

Today my wife called and spoke with them and apparently her mom asked for some physical therapy but they said they could not give her any because the foot was fractured and not healed enough for it. Now I am really confused. If she is not able to get any therapy, why is she there? It seems if there is still a problem, she should be in the hospital where it can be monitored. Once it is healed enough for her to relearn how to use it, then move her for the physical therapy.

I know my wife was going to put in some calls to see what could be done. Still, it would be a lot easier and she would be a lot more willing if my mother-in-law were not so abusive. Sometimes the reason people do not come to visit, or to help her is, she pushes them away.

I do understand her frustration and the need for people not to let her push them away. Often times, we push people away the hardest when we need them the most. Even if we, the ones being pushed away, recognize it, it does not often mean we are able to accept it and continue coming back only to be pushed away again.

Hopefully this all works out soon.

1 comment:

Liza on Maui said...

Yep...I hope it all works out...

(here from sometimes I feel like a balogna)

from another one parenting a parent,
Liza