Friday, August 17, 2007

Perceptions

It is amazing how two people can be witness the same thing and have completely different perceptions. When my wife went to the rehab facility where her mother is, my wife was very impressed. All the paper work was done very quickly, everything was ready for her mom by the time she got there (even thought they did not have much notice) and they were attentive to her mom’s needs.

Her mother sees the situation very differently. First she feels she does not need physical therapy. If she is going to get it, she is not at the facility she wants. The assisted living facility has a rehab/nursing home affiliated with it and it is right next store to where she was. This is what she wanted, but they did not have any beds. In addition, her mom claims they are slow to assist her. She says on one day no one came in to give her any physical therapy, or to even check on her. She claims another time, when she needed to use the restroom, they did not respond until 45 minutes later. She is not happy where she is, although realistically, she probably would not be happy anywhere right now.

My wife is sometimes too quick to dismiss what her mother says. If her mom thinks no one checked on her, or that it took someone 45 minutes to respond to her call, it seems it should be worth checking into. On the other hand, there have been many times when she has said this before, and it just has not been the case.

I really believe her mother thinks what she says is the truth, even if it is not. I think that a call should be made to check on things. I have tried to gently suggest this but I really cannot get involved because what will happen is both sides will just end up getting angry at me and angrier at each other. All I will do is make the situation worse. My nature generally is to see what I can do to help fix the problem but when I know it will just make things worse, I TRY to stay out of it.

No comments: