Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Riot Act

It is amazing how fast a mood can change and how quickly that can change game plans. A couple of weeks ago my wife took our son over to see grandma, her mom. She was in the rehab facility and she seemed to reject him. My wife said, “Tell Grandma about Space Camp,” (The week long summer program he was attending that week) and Grandma said abruptly, “I don’t want to hear about it”.

My son loves spending time with his grandmother and for her, it is really the best medicine she can get. When she rejected him, he acknowledged that it was the situation and not him that caused this reaction. Still, he has less of a desire to see his grandmother.

Then, a couple of times since then when she has sounded pretty good, we had planned to take him over the next day. The problem is, her mood can change so fast, it is different from minute to minute, let alone day to day. On both occasions, she has called the next day in a bad mood and indicated she does not want him to come over. My son can be a handful at times, but with this he is so good and understanding. Still, it deprives him of time with her and her of time with him (which as I said would be wonderful medicine).

The other day my wife got a call from the facility where her mom is and they talked about a few things but one of the things the doctor recommended was not bringing over a relatively young child right now as her mood was not good.

Yesterday when my wife called her mom, she asked our son ahead of time (as she usually does) if he wanted to talk and he said that at the current time he was afraid to talk. My wife called and let her mom know she had to let other help her and needed to fix her attitude. She told her mom that her grandson was afraid to talk to her and that with the way she rejected him last time he was over, he did not want to come over to see her. She had her mother in tears and it seemed to get through. In fact, my son upon hearing this said it sounded like “Grandma is trying to fix her attitude,” and he did want to call her back before going to sleep. He did that and it seemed to make a difference. I just hope that the scare my wife but in to her mother remains and continues to help her fix her attitude.

For now it seems to be good but by the time I post thjs, let along by tomorrow, it could be completely different.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.