Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Talking On The Phone

A few years ago, my son must have been four or five, my father bought him a present. My son called to thank Grandpa for the present. Instead of my dad saying, “Your Welcome,” this four or five year old got the lecture. My dad told him he was great at calling to say thank you when he got a present but when he (my dad) called and asked to speak to my son, my son would usually say he did not want to talk to Grandpa on the phone. My dad told him this did not cut it and he needed to talk not only when a present was sent but when some asked to speak to him as well.

“Dad,” I responded, “he is five years old. You are going to lecture a five year old about phone etiquette? When a child calls to say thank you, the only appropriate response is your welcome”. Well, my father certainly heard me on this and I give him credit because he always was willing to listen to such criticisms.

Now, a few years later, I wish my son would understand the power he has to make people feel better simply by talking to them on the phone. Grandma called today (my wife’s mother—the only living grandparent he has left). In rehab, she has her good days and her bad days. This is true out of rehab but when things are changed from the norm, it seems to be more difficult to cope. When my mother-in-law called, she wanted to talk to my son but he did not want to talk. While he is getting better and talking more often, I would like to see him do it more often as he had my mother-in-law in tears simply because he did not want to talk.

True, it is not his responsibility to keep her feeling happy or cheerful. Still, when something so simple can make a difference, I would hope most people, even a nine year old, would be willing to do it.

No comments: