Sunday, August 19, 2007

Get Me Out

My mother-in-law remains in the nursing home facility she is at for rehab. She still hates it and my wife remains impressed with the facility. Today I got a call from her and she told me she did not care what I needed to do but I had to call someone to get her out of there.

The fact that it was Sunday made this almost impossible. The fact that legally I cannot do anything and have no authority in this situation along with the fact that my wife would absolutely kill me if I went behind her back, completely prevented me from doing anything.

“Mom, legally I can’t do anything but tell me what the problem is so I can see if I can address them,” was my response. She told me the people there were nasty to her and that they were bringing her food she cannot eat. In terms of being nasty, I know my mother-in-law is not always an easy person to deal with. She may not even be aware of the things she is doing but if she is being mean, nasty and rude to them (my wife would add abusive but I do not know), they may be responding the same way or trying to avoid her as much as possible, which could lead to her not getting the treatment or quickness to which she feels entitled.

In terms of the food, she claims they are too fatty. I have seen her at her assisted living program object to the food being too fatty even when the cook has said he did not use any additional fat. There have been times where I thought the staff there could have been more patient with her but clearly she was wrong about the added fat.

The problem of course is, I do not think you can just ignore some claims like this. What if they are true. People have ignored individuals who have claimed rape or abuse at times only to regret doing so. People have ignored others who make threats about committing suicide only to regret doing so. I think this falls into the same category.

I did tell my wife and she did put some calls in to see what was going on. It looks like my mother-in-law may have exaggerated things but still I am glad my wife did some checking and will do some more tomorrow.

2 comments:

Confessions from the sandwich generation said...

another one of your blogs I love! How do you find the time for all of them? I just wanted to say I think my own mother (who I've blogged about to save my sanity) must be your mother-in-law's long lost sister because she has made life miserable for everyone every time she goes back to rehab units (and with her medical history, it's often). Hang in there and try to remember she wasn't always so unhappy. At least, that's what I tell myself as mother is alienating everyone around her.

The Adjunct Professor said...

Thank you for your comments. The irony with my mother-in-law is, my experiences with her are much more positive than my wife's with her. I'd like to be able to bring them closer together but I think I've given up on that.

As for finding time, right now with school not in session, I have some spare time. I hope to keep them fairly active after school starts next week because I find writing for them theraputic.

I enjoy your blogs and wish you good luck with everything you are currently experiencing.