Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Going Home!

If all goes well, my mother-in-law will get out of the rehab facility on Friday. They are still not reading to take the soft cast off. They are actually saying she will probably need it for another four weeks. She will need to use a walker for awhile. Still, they are releasing her.

My mother-in-law, who has wanted to leave that facility since she got there, is now a bit apprehensive. She is concerned and wondering if she should get an aide to help. The irony in all this. My wife thought her mother would be required to have an aide. My wife expected her mother to fight that. In the end, she is told she will not need one and she is feeling like she might want one.

I actually can understand that. She is anxious to get back to her place and see all her friends. Still, there is the concern she has that maybe she is not ready. It would be nice if this event helps her turned the corner. I would like to believe that she will appreciate now, more than before, what she has. I doubt that will happen, however. While initially she might let herself enjoy living in the assisted living program, while initially she might appreciate all the freedoms, it will not last.

I do not mean to sound pessimistic, it is just that I have been around her enough to know that at some point, she will get fed up and resort back to her old ways. That could happen after just one day, or it might take several weeks, or even months before it happens. It would be nice if it never occurred, but I am not holding my breath. At some point, she will start trying to run everyone’s life.

Well, enjoy what you have while you have it, because tomorrow can be a completely different day.

No comments: