Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Back To "Normal"

Well, it has been awhile since I have posted an entry. Between the Jewish Holidays and my son not feeling well with croup like conditions, things have been crazy. The good news is, my mother-in-law is out of the rehab and back in her assisted living program. In fact, she does not even need an aide. My wife feared it might be a 24 hour necessity, or certainly around meal times and morning time. Instead, she was given a regimen, a walker and will be having someone come to her to do physical therapy. As things go, this is about the best to hope for.

My wife, not surprisingly, has been going crazy trying to get everything set. She wanted to make sure when her mother got back to her apartment at the assisted living facility, it had all the comforts of home. It is hard to know what my mother-in-law thought as no matter what her mom said, my wife would hear it a particular way. Of course, the reason she hears it in a less than positive tone is, that is the way her mom often reacts to her. That is the unfortunate part of this whole thing.

My mother-in-law has been calling numerous times a day to check up on her grandson. He is fine. It is a sickness, it is being treated, and there are far worse things that many other kids are stricken with, this will pass. Still, Grandma is concerned about her grandson. My wife, however, works nights and is trying to get sleep during the day and having her mom call a few times a day prevents that from happening. In addition, my wife is convinced that her mom does not believe her when she tells her something. “Could you please call my mom and tell her that her grandson is fine,” or “Could you please call my mom and tell her you will be coming over for a visit later today,” or “Could you please call my mom and tell her…,” you fill in the rest, are not uncommon requests she will make of me because she feels her mother does not believe what she (my wife) says. Again, this could be true or it could be perception. Problem is, if it is perception, than for my wife, it is reality.

Well, I guess you could say, things are getting back to normal.

No comments: