Saturday, October 6, 2007

Hanging Up

My wife has gotten frustrated that, for the past few years, when the two of them get into arguments on the telephone, her mom will just hang up. I do not know that this is actually such a terrible thing, but I certainly understand the frustration. Well her mom called yesterday and wanted my wife to go to the store to buy her some things. My wife has not been feeling very well and refused to do it. And that point I hear my wife say in frustration, “She hung up again”.

Not less than 30 seconds later, the telephone rings and it is her mom calling back. I just hear the one side of the conversation. “No mom, you hung up on me, “ followed by, “Well then, we must have gotten disconnected”. This is followed by a little more arguing and then the phone being hung up.

My wife says to me, again in frustration, “I cannot believe she called back to see if I hung up”. Now, it seems to me that she should appreciate this call. Here she gets frustrated with her mother for just hanging up and she thinks her mom did it again. With this phone call, it would seemingly be apparent, at least at for this onetime, that it was not her mom hanging up. Since her mom’s line also got disconnected she (my mother-in-law) called to see what happened. Again, I would have taken the call as a positive sign, as knowing that I got frustrated for her hanging up, when that was not what she did, or was trying to do.

As I have said before, Oh well, I guess we are all very different people.

2 comments:

therapydoc said...

It's hard to understand people who "just hang up" but I think they're really thinking you want them to, so they save you the trouble of saying it.

The Adjunct Professor said...

You must have a thriving practice. If I lived in your neck of the woods, I would want to see you professionally.

By the way, did you notice that when you took time off for Sukkot and listed the blogs who link to your site, I never even complained you failed to mention my site-lol.

I hope the Yom Tovim were enjoyable and I assume you are glad to now be able to get into a routine.

Keep posting, I may not comment frequently on your blog but I do enjoy your posts (and have even recommended them to some friends).