Monday, September 10, 2007

The Lion And The Lamb

Sometimes certain people just bring out the “best” in each other. When my wife was talking with one of the staff members of the nursing home where my mother-in-law is located, the staff (I believe in the health care field) indicated that some of her mom’s behavior was due to post stroke dementia.

My wife is curious as to why, however, the behavior being attributed to this, mainly exhibits itself when she and her mom are talking. When my mother-in-law and my son are together, most of the time, she is fine with him. When I am with my mother-in-law, most of the time she is fine with me. When it is my wife, it is a different story.

Following our move into our new home, I had a very pleasant conversation with my mother-in-law and she wished us well. It sounded that when she had a conversation with my wife, it started out on a friendly note, but it did not take long until it deteriorated into a shouting match.

As I have indicated before, when it comes to taking care of things and making sure everything is in order, my wife is the person you want to do it. She is very detailed and keeps track of everything. I actually think that is part of the problem. My wife is doing for her mom things her mom used to be able to do herself. That is almost like rubbing salt in the wounds. The problem is, if my wife does not do it, it will not get done. I still hope to see the day when the lion and the lamb can sit down in peace, or in this case, my wife and mother-in-law. Maybe I am foolish, but I still think one day it will happen. I hope I am right.

No comments: