Thursday, September 6, 2007

The Power Of "Thank You"

The other day my mother-in-law called and asked my wife to bring her some sweaters and warmer clothes. She was complaining it was too cold in the rehab facility where she is located. The way my wife tells the story, her mom was very rude and demanding. Apparently she first left a message on the house phone. After not hearing back from her daughter for a few hours, she called her on her cell phone. According to my wife, her mom was very upset and annoyed that her daughter had not picked up the message on the home phone. My wife added that she demanded she bring her some warmer clothes.

My wife considered not doing it. She is trying to get her mom to realize that the way you treat people and talk to them effects their willingness to help. In the end my wife and son brought over some warmer clothes.

Apparently things changed for the better somewhere between the call to her cell phone and my wife and son’s arrival to the nursing home. Her mom told her she did not need all of the clothes she brought over but thanked her numerous times for bringing them and for making the trip. She let my wife know that she now had clothes there to keep her warm.

It is amazing how much better my wife felt after this visit. A simple “Thank You,” but one that is sincere, can go a long way. As I have stated before, I do not know how long it stays like this but I am grateful for any time when my wife and her mother relate well to each other. I hope it continues for a while.

No comments: