Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Time Of Day Is Important

I have come to realize that when you are taking care of an elderly parent, or a parent who needs assistance, the time of day you talk with that individual can make a huge difference. My wife works the overnight shift. When she comes home, she is tired. She has not yet wound down from the pressures of the job (sometimes she does not even realize she needs to). Not surprising, she can also be cranky (of course, I am never cranky when I come home from work-lol).

It seems that it is at this time her mom decides to call her. I really think she should ask her mom not to call her until after 10 AM, or some time, where she has had time to unwind. She will not do that and she will be angry with me if I meddle and suggest it to her mom. Still, I think it would be helpful and hopefully cut down on some of the yelling.

This evening my wife had a bad headache before she left for work. I am surprised that she decided to call her mom at this point. She should have known how her body was feeling and listened to it. I think it would have helped. Instead the two of them ended up in a yelling match (again).

Sometimes we should let our clocks be our guide.

No comments: