Saturday, July 14, 2007

Parenting Our Parents

My father always told me that it is diffiuclt when the children need to become parents to their parents. The roles change and it is easy for no one. The parent is used to telling the child what should be done. Even as the child grows up and becomes an adult, the parent still often maintaints some control over their offspring.

It is not easy for the child either. The child is used to turning to the parent in times of trouble for help. The child looks to the parent for guidance. Often times, when children needs to parent their parents, the child has children of his or her own and not that much time to devote. It is a very difficult situation.

I guess both fortunately and unfortunately (because I would have loved to have spent more time with my parents), I never had to deal with this, directly anyways, since both my parents passed away before they were in that situation. My wife on the other hand has to play this role for her mother and her mother hates it and resents my wife for doing it. It is not easy. It is not easy for my wife, it is not easy for my mother-in-law, and as someone who is living in the middle of the situation, it is not easy for me.

This blog is designed to discuss such issues, to allow others who might be in similar situations to vent, and quite honestly to allow myself to vent as well. I think, and hope, it will be beneficial.

No comments: