Saturday, July 21, 2007

Explaining Bills

When it comes to taking care of our parents, it is important to keep excellent records. I am very impressed when I watch my wife take care of her mother’s affairs. I still wish she would try and let her mom do some of the stuff, but the fact is my wife makes sure everything is done.

My wife is also excellent at letting her mother know everything she has done. There might be people in such a position who would take advantage of a parent; there might be people in a similar situation who would make decisions for the parents, even if it is not what the parent wants. Not my wife. There are times where she knows it would be in her mother’s best interest to make a certain choice, however if her mom wants to do something else, my wife will do it on her behalf. She may try to argue with her mother and tell her why another option may be a better choice, but she carries out her mother’s wishers.

Usually when my wife wants to go over things with her mother, her mom will say, “It doesn’t matter”. Her mom will sometimes ask, and then as my wife starts to explain, she’ll say “just do it”. Unfortunately, my mother-in-law will later accuse her daughter of not letting her know what is happening or where things stand.

As I stated earlier, however, she does keep excellent records, so anytime her mom wants to go back over things, my wife is ready. Again, I think that my wife could do certain things to give her mother some independence but when it comes to a matter of making sure things get done, and that they get done correctly, her mom is in good hands; my wife is excellent at that.

No comments: