Friday, July 20, 2007

Depression

I overheard a conversation this morning, between my wife and the assisted living facility where my mother-in-law is. Apparently it has been an issue because my mother-in-law has been depressed and basically has not been coming out of her apartment. She does have some food in her refrigerator and is eating something, although probably less than she should be.

They do keep an eye on her at the facility, but if depression is an issue, that for them is a concern. If she only stays inside, instead of socializing with the other residents there, that is also a concern. My wife made a comment to the case worker there that she expects them to kick her mom out by the end of the weekend and she is surprised they have not already done that.

I was surprised she said that, even if she felt that way. I learned from my parents that if you tell people something like this, they may, and often do, feel more comfortable doing it. If they through her out, my wife is the one who is going to have to find another place for her mother, and she really does not have time. I have offered to help but have basically been told to stay out of this. Of course, if I am living with people who are directly involved, I am involved, but that does not seem to get through to anyone.

I wish my mother-in-law would do something to help herself. She needs an antidepressant, but she will not take that “crazy nut medicine”. She needs to see a counselor but she will not go to that “crazy nut doctor”.

I wish my wife had a better grasp on how best to help with regard to this situation. Don’t get me wrong, when it comes to the day to day decision and needing to keep on top of things, she is great. It is the little things, things like staying calm when talking with her mother, things like not telling a facility you are expecting them to kick out your mother, where she needs to get a better grasp.

Hopefully all will calm down, otherwise, this could be a very “interesting” weekend.

No comments: