Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Dentist

So, how are things with my mother-in-law today? The answer is, I am not sure. She has been in a very good mood. She is being friendly and kind and it is enjoyable being around her. On the other hand, she is not wearing her new dentures because they hurt. I believe that they do, indeed, hurt, but the only way to get use to them is to wear them, even if it is a little at a time. Without her dentures, she does not have any teeth. Therein lies the problem.

Without the dentures, she is very limited in what she can eat. She is diabetic, so it is important that she eat on a regular basis. Earlier, her blood sugar was under 50. Again, she is in a good mood, but her blood sugar is dangerously low.

I am not quite sure what can be done. Certainly she should be able to find a liquid diet, or talk with a nutritionist or dentist in terms of foods she can eat. The best alternative, of course, is to put the dentures in and then be able to eat more.

As I said, I do understand the discomfort. I went through orthodontic work done, growing up. My wife never did, so I think she gets even more frustrated with her mom. She is seeing the dentist tomorrow and hopefully he will be able to do something. Still, I think wearing them a little at a time is best. Let her try wearing them for half an hour in the morning, and one meal during the day and build up from there. The bottom line, however, is it does not matter what I think, it matters what she is willing to do. That, perhaps, is the most frustrating thing of all.

No comments: