Saturday, July 28, 2007

Out And About

It is amazing how it is so much easier to see things in other people than to see them in ourselves. For the past three weeks my mother-in-law has come out of her apartment very seldom (fortunately that is changing). When my wife told her that her friends were worried about her and wanted to know if she was okay, she did not believe my wife. Moreover, she did not believe she had friends at the assisted living facility where she is at. Acquaintances yes, friends no.

Now, unfortunately one of her friends is not feeling well and is refusing to come out of her apartment. I do not know what is wrong with this friend or how serious it is. I do know that my mother-in-law is concerned. I do know that my mother-in-law has called this woman “Her friend”. I do know that my mother-in-law plans on going over to this woman’s apartment to visit, and does not understand why she refuses to come out of her apartment.

It would be nice if this actually helped my mother-in-law realize that she needs to change her approach, that she needs to, or certainly should do the things she wants this woman to do. I do not really expect that to happen, however. It is so much easier to see things in other people than to see them in ourselves.

On the plus side, my mother-in-law did go on an outing a couple of days ago. There was a picnic in the park and she was one of the participants. Certainly it is good to see her starting to get out and about. I hope that whatever the ailment her friend has is nothing serious and that her friend is out and about very soon as well. I know that would be great for her friend, and I think it would be great for my mother-in-law as well.

No comments: