Saturday, July 5, 2008

Consequences

Unfortunately, sometimes our actions can have an impact long after the initial action takes place. A few weeks ago I commented about a Father’s Day Barbeque that we had and how my Mother-in-law just sat away from everyone else, refusing to talk or even have an enjoyable time.

My wife decided to invite a few friends over for a Fourth of July barbeque (and a Happy Independence Day to one and all). She planned this a couple of weeks in advance. This time she did not invite her mother. Since a number of the people were the same, my wife did not want to make her mom feel uncomfortable, nor did she want to make the other people feel uncomfortable. After all, if one of your guests refuses to get involved with everyone else, it can leave everyone with an awkward feeling.

I am not sure if my Mother-in-law would have liked to have been there. I am not sure if she wanted an invitation. Still, those of us who gathered found the evens enjoyable. The actions my Mother-in-law took at our Father’s Day barbeque clearly had an impact yesterday.

These types of events, events away from her Assisted Living facility, events with other people, enjoyable events are exactly what she needs. Unfortunately, behavioral issues that you have impact the future. This is not just true for young children. It is true for adults and for parents as well.

1 comment:

therapydoc said...

You're doing your best.