Saturday, June 28, 2008

Take Him Home

I remember one time when I was talking with my parents and discussing how frustrated I was with my son. My parents immediately stuck up for my son and I asked why it was that they thought he never did anything wrong. I guess that is the prerogative of a Grandparent.

Well, my parents also said, “If you live long enough, you’ll see everything.” Well, my parents did not live long enough for me to see this approach change but I have to admit it is a little refreshing to see my Mother-in-law realize that my son is not always correct.

Normally my son and I visit Grandma on Sundays but this Sunday we all have a graduation party so it is unlikely that we will get over there. As a result, my wife decided to take our son over to visit Grandma earlier in the week.

Apparently my son was in a mood when they went over. It was nothing major, mind you, as he can exhibit sometimes. Still, he was being obnoxious and annoying. My wife said that her mom turned to her and told her to take her grandson home.

As I have previously stated in other posts, Grandma lives for these visits. Still, it is refreshing to hear she recognized his poor behavior and not only approved of us taking steps to correct it but actually recommend that. Usually she is quick to defend him.

My guess is, Grandma won’t remember this incident, or will recall it the way she wants, which is fine with me. Still, the fact is, as it was occurring, she did recognize it and acknowledged that it occurred.

No comments: