Thursday, June 26, 2008

Baseball And Parents

Tomorrow starts another Subway series between the Mets and the Yankees. It is a four game set as the two teams will look to make up a rainout from the previous series. That means a day-night, two stadium, double header. Such things are crazy and I really do not like it.

I do not know what will happen in the series but I am sure I will be having some arguments with my Mother-in-law. Since her stroke, there are a number of things she forgets. Sometimes her short term memory suffers and sometimes her long term memory suffers (and sometimes neither). Somehow though, she has never forgotten she is a Yankee fan. I, of course, am a diehard Met fan.

I am sure we will be discussing, debating and arguing. Of course it will all be in good fun (because we of course know who the better team is). When it is all said and done, we will laugh about it, but it aside and ignore it, and move on.

I think there is a strong lesson there when it comes to taking care of parents. Of course it can be difficult and with the emotional aspect that parents hold over their children, it is even harder. Still, sometimes we need to know how to discuss and debate things, serious things, real issues, and then let them go and move on.

If only it were that easy.

No comments: