Sunday, June 8, 2008

Overdone

Of late, things seem to be better between my wife and mother-in-law. I am not sure exactly what has changed, and I still would not say things are great, but the two seem to be getting along fine. Certainly that is a good thing.

My wife took her mother out to dinner on Friday and again, things seemed good. At least that is my understanding as I was not there. She then told me she wanted to invite her mother to join us for dinner that evening, Friday night. That was fine with me but I did have some concerns.

It seems my concerns might have been right on target. While things maybe better between the two of them, spending the whole day in each other’s presence might have been too much. Over dinner, while there were no ‘big’ blowups, you could feel tension and here snipping between the two.

My wife admitted that she probably would have been better off not inviting her mother to stay for dinner. Still, it was a generous offer and things between the two of them are definitely better, so perhaps the day when the two of them can peacefully spend the entire day in each other’s presence is not too far off.

No comments: