Friday, June 13, 2008

Taking A Vacation

Father’s Day is this weekend, July 4th is not that far away and in-between, the school year comes to an end, for those not in college. The school year has already ended for college students. For many, the events just mentioned can mean a summer getaway, or a summer vacation.

As I think about the things many adults now have to do for their parents, I also think of the things many adults have learned from their parents. Both my folks were able to take the summer off so, each year, the family would take about a six week vacation and travel the U.S. my car (I visited and spent time in 48 of the 50 states before I was 18). We visited everything from Orlando Theme Parks in Florida to Wall Drug in South Dakota.

It was always interesting watching Mom sit down with all the Triple A tour guide books and plan what we would see and where we would stay. She was great at determining a budget and figuring when we would stay at a fancy place and when and when to stay at an inexpensive location. Some vacations we would even stay at budget apartments, but it worked out well.

She had everything down to a science. Now I notice there is Mum’s Holiday Guide, a guide that has input from other people who have visited areas and I think this is a great way to go touring.

As you plan your summer vacation, maybe using things like Travelocity as well, think back to those who did a great job before such resources were available. Yes, it could be done but why not take advantage of what is out there.

No comments: