Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Bad Behavior

We hear it said all the time, but life isn’t always fair. Now, with that being said, I am not talking a tragic situation here that many people have to frequently deal with. I am not even talking a bump in the road. I’m talking about when you see something and think to yourself, “That’s Unfair,” even if you are a contributing party.

As many of you know, Sundays is the day I take my son to see Grandma at the assisted living facility where she now resides. She refuses to get involved with a lot of the programs and claims that “there is nothing to do,” where she lives. What she truly enjoys, the highlight of her week, is a visit from her grandson and I am happy to help out.

This past weekend, both Friday and Saturday, my son had awful behavior. Both days were horrendous (the kind where you question why you ever wanted kids in the first place). Fortunately things got better come Sunday. Still, based on his behavior, he lost all privileges for the rest of the weekend, including going out and doing anything on Sunday, including visiting grandma.

By the way, while he usually does very well with her, sometimes the visits seems to negatively affect his behavior when we get home, so there is a reason as to why we don’t want to take him for a visit when he is acting up.

I couldn’t help but think of poor grandma, who did absolutely nothing wrong. She did nothing to aggravate her daughter (my wife). Still, she now has to go a couple of weeks without seeing her grandson. It is amazing (and unfortunate) how negative behavior can effect many people around you. Of course, the converse of that is true as well, that positive behavior can positively effect those around you, so hopefully next weekend that will be the case.

No comments: