Friday, April 25, 2008

Proud Of My Wife!

I have to say that I am very pleased with my wife as I watched her interact with her mother at the Passover Seder this year. My wife did a lot of work in preparing for many guests. It does get frustrating that she refuses to let me do anything, as she wants to be able to do it all. So, as the Holiday started and we were all sited around the table, she had to be exhausted.

Her mother joined us both Seder nights. First, I must praise her mother. She was well behaved and, for the most part, did not start in. She recognized all the work her daughter did (not something that always, or even usually happens) and she appreciated it.

Then, towards the end of the festivities, her mother made some kind of comment; I do not even remember what it was but it was the type of comment that could be viewed as an insult, or at best a left-handed compliment. I do not think that was the way her mom intended the comment to be, but I am not sure. Still, it was my wife who showed great poise and simply ignored the comment. She did not argue, she did not get insulted, she did not even say anything. It was almost as if she did not hear it (although I know she did).

Yes, honestly, I was very proud of her and hope it may be a sign of being able to do this more often which I think will help everyone.

1 comment:

therapydoc said...

It's always better not to take things personally. Especially when they're things that come out of our parents' mouths.