Thursday, July 24, 2008

Planning A Bar Mitzvah

It is amazing the way different people operate. My nephew will become Bar Mitzvah in a couple of weeks. I have, obviously, been notified about the event and the family will be travelling down state for the event. Still, the other day, I got a call from my sister asking me about printing out address labels on the computer. The event is less than three weeks away and the invitations have still not yet been mailed.

A few years ago, some close friends were preparing for the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter. When it came to invitations, they went out late. When it came to putting a program together, two days before the ceremony, it was still being worked on.

My son’s Bar Mitzvah will be in about three years. I realize that is still a ways away but I cannot imagine cutting things so close. I may not be the quickest or most efficient but certainly I would not wait until the last minute.

My wife is worse than I. For our son’s first birthday, she booked the party six months in advance and had everything set to go. Certainly she would not let me wait that long and she would certainly take the bull by the horns if I did.

Perhaps those people know something I don’t. In the case of my friends, the ceremony came off just fine. In the event of my sister, I am sure most people will still get in for the ceremony. Still, I could not live that way.

Too each his/her own.

No comments: