Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Finding Humor

This past Sunday my son and I went to visit my Mother-in-law (MIL) as we often do on Sundays. I felt like I was watching an Abbot and Costello routine. My Mother-in-law and a number of other women are sitting in the library of the assisted living facility and the conversation went like this:

Woman 1: You know they are showing a movie in the Great Room.

Woman 2: When?

Woman 1: Now.

MIL: What are they showing?

Woman 1: I don’t know. (Looking towards women 2), “Why don’t you check?

Woman 2 gets up and walks to the great room.

MIL: So what are they showing?

Man 1 (passing by woman 2): Howdy.

Woman 2 (not having heard MIL’s comment but responding to Man 1): Howdy Doody.

MIL (not having heard Man 1’s greeting to Women 2): “There showing Howdy Doody?” (and upon getting no response asks) Who said they’re showing Howdy Doody?

I certainly do not like to make fun of people who have physical issues, in this case people who’s hearing is not what it used to be, but I did find the situation humorous. I guess considering I frequently bring my son over and do what I can to help out, I am entitled to occasionally find humor in a situation I should not view as funny.

No comments: