Monday, July 14, 2008

Not Talking Again

My wife and Mother-in-law are at it again. My Mother-in-law wanted a checkbook and my wife was not so crazy about giving her one. My wife’s mom writes checks without telling her daughter and since her daughter is the one who handles her mother’s affairs, it makes things difficult.

My father always said that was one of the reason he did not want to gift money or have someone else in charge of his affairs, because to have to ask someone else for your own money is difficult. “What if I want to buy the kids a present” he would ask, “They are the ones handling the money so they would know”. What if I want to get something for the grandkids without letting anyone know in advance”?

I certainly understand my father’s reaction so I can see where my Mother-in-law is coming from. Still, when she calls, she wants my wife to drop everything even though she does not need things immediately. She wanted the money when she called even though she did not need it then.

My wife told her she was not able to just drop everything at the current time. Her mother responded by saying, “Don’t talk to me if you are just going to aggravate me”. That was three days ago and they have not talked since (so my wife listened to her mother).

The two of them go through stages. I wonder how long this one is going to last?

No comments: