Monday, March 31, 2008

Out Of The Mouths Of Babes

Despite being times when I really feel like strangling my son (Don’t worry, I would never do it), he really is a good guy and very perceptive. He has noticed how my Mother-in-law really seems to enjoy getting out.

When she complains about there being nothing to do, I tell her if she lets me know where she wants to go, I would be happy to take her there. Still, she never indicates that she wants to go anywhere. Even the times that I invite her, my mother-in-law usually says the weather is not great and she would rather not go out.

My son has picked up on the fact that if he asks her, she is more likely to say yes. He also notices that when she is out she seems to smile more and have a better time than when she is at her assisted living facility. As a result, the past couple of weeks, without my prompting, he has called her and invited her out. Both times she has agreed. Both times she seems to really enjoy getting out and even when she returns back, she still seem to be in a better mood.

It may be actions rather than words but, “Out of the mouths of babes,” still seems to fit.

2 comments:

therapydoc said...

He's a great kid.

The Adjunct Professor said...

Thanks Doc, I kind of like him, which I guess in this day and age is not a foregone conclusion.