Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Ignoring E-Mails!

As I mentioned yesterday, my sister-in-law (My wife’s, brother’s, wife) was recently up here. She and I share a mother-in-law. We have also both been told not to voice our opinions too loudly.

What I recently learned is, when she was up here for a few days, my wife starting e-mailing her everyday telling her what her mom could and could not do. My sister-in-law said this got to be so much she simply hit the delete button before even reading the text.

My wife is excellent when it comes to keeping on top of things. She know what meds her mom gets and when she needs them. She knows when her mother needs to eat to keep the blood sugar stabilized so there is no diabetic episode. She truly stays on top of a lot.

Unfortunately, she can overdo it. Part of the reason her mom cannot do so much is because she is not given the opportunity and she hears from others that she cannot do something. I am not so naïve to believe she can do now the same things she could have done 20 years ago. I certainly understand that, following her stroke, her mom is not capable of doing certain things. Still, give her the opportunity.

When the sister-in-law was up her, she took my mother-in-law out shopping, out to the mall and out to dinner. In fact one evening my sister-in-law and her daughter did not get out to dinner until after 8PM. Mother-in-law was invited but she turned down the offer. A few minutes later she put her coat on and said she decided she did want to go with them. My wife felt that her mom was run ragged but I thought this was great medicine and I have not seen my mother-in-law do this well in a long time!

No comments: